Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Women and Their Spidey Sense

I was out for a drink with three gal pals tonight after work, and talk turned to women and safety.

Debra mentioned she had stayed at work until 9-ish last night, and just as she was thinking about packing it in, she heard someone else leave her floor. The thought flashed through her mind: I'll just quickly unplug and tail-gate that guy out to the parking lot. However, one last email and a few minor clean ups at her desk later, and the moment was lost. Now she was alone in the building with a lot of dark space (okay, at least 15 feet, but still....) between the well-lit doorway of the building and her car. Should she phone security to walk her to her car?

Okay, folks, on the count of three... One, two, three... YES!

Ladies, ladies, ladies... can we talk?

Listen to your spidey sense. Listen to your spidey sense. Listen to your spidey sense.

If your spidey sense is saying, "The little shit is skipping school again," or "He's having an affair," or "I should call security to walk me to my car..."
PAY ATTENTION!


I could wax eloquent about how our culture downplays the role of female intuition as flaky and likely to land you a spot on a "Witches 'R Us" infomercial. I could cite statistics about who gets mugged and how they kinda knew they were being scoped before the fact. I could relay the latest email round of "Beware! Beware!" scare mail that snopes.com effectively debunks, but why?

Listen to me: listen to your belly. Don't worry what you might look like, who you might inconvenience, or who you might embarrass. Most of the time, when it all goes right, the only one at risk for all of the above is you.

If you ignore your belly, it could go very wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment