Saturday, February 28, 2009

Some Rulings, Please, On Public Restroom Cell Phone Etiquette

I'm confused. And possibly psychologically scarred for life. This is serious, I tell you... I may have permanent public release issues.

I walked in and could hear one woman laughing. A quick scan revealed three open doors in a four-stall configuration. She was on her phone.

If I had only given myself a bit more time between office and destination, I would have about faced and bolted for the restroom at the other end of the floor. Sadly, I hadn't. Committed, I whipped in, unzipped, and settled in with haste. The extent of my dilemma sank in just as quickly.

Under the best of circumstances (i. e. none of the current residents are on a cell phone), I  am occasionally startled and appalled at the complete absence of sound baffling in all but the swankiest of public restrooms. Imagine my distress, then, in a tile-o-rama bouncer as I contemplated the sonic and social repercussions of my doing what I actually came rushing in to do?! Would I be interrupting the conversation? If so, is the onus on me to apologize? Or do I just go retro and say "Build a bridge and get over it: this is MY cubicle!" and un-dam the torpedoes?

I mean really.... I was just trying to balance the morning's coffee volume to bladder equation, and here I was: literally exposed to a social conundrum that I frankly did not have time to figure out. 

Will someone please weigh in on this thorny question? Is it kosher to chat while you pitter-pat in public? Should institutional restrooms be obliged to enforce a "no cell-phone zone" policy? I need some help here...

And while we're at it: Ladies, please... Can we agree just to sit all the way down and pee INTO the bowl?

3 comments:

  1. I think that even Miss Manners would agree that the cell phone user has a choice in choosing to initiate or answer a call and owns the responsibility for any normal noise for the chosen location. I.e, not your problem and you are free to pee, poop, talk, even sing, as long as it's not opera.

    A quick "I'm not in a good place to talk, may I call you back in 2 minutes" would solve the "must answer" call. Perhaps some normal bathroom noise would have reminded the caller of this option.

    I'm sure Miss Manners has some witty words on this subject. My favorite response from her was regarding a letter in which the writer expressed concern about someone showing photos of their baby's birth at the office. Miss Manners responded that she felt it was equally appropriate to show photos of the baby's birth as it would be to show photos of its conception.

    That's my 2 cents;-)
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to our world. Several of your fellow female employees have been weighing in on this issue for the past several months. I'm sure it is the same cell phone offender who deems it fit to use our restroom as her personal phone booth. I consider it my personal mission to be as noisy as possible when she's on the phone hoping that she has to explain what those noises are. Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! ...and here I thought I was the only one bothered by this inconsiderate babbling in the stall next to me...not only does it steam me, the one-sided converstation that you're front row seat to hear, but it vibrates off the walls and amplifies like our new sound system! I don't care that muffy had to go to the vet! I don't care that it's your turn to pick up the chinese take out...as was stated earlier... a polite "I'm not in a good place (DUH)to talk, let me call you back" would be MUCH appreciated!

    ReplyDelete