Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My son is dismantling my iPod


I can hear the "pphhhhhhssttt" hit of compressed air accosting the inner most parts of my cherished music device as I write this sentence.

Yes, he has been doing this kind of thing for at least 20 years. At the time, it was the only way I could get him to sit still to cut his hair.


Yes, he has an interview with Apple next week.

Yes, he has to do a design test within one week prior to the interview on how he would design a back cover that actually gives mere mortals access to the battery so they can replace it BY THEMSELVES!! (Ever waited for an Apple "guru" in a retail store to help you perform what you have been doing for yourself with countless flashlights ever since that hideous two weeks at summer camp back in the seventies? Don't underestimate the connection between the cable company's service scheduling protocol and Apple's "virtual" line-up for customer service... It may just be my inner conspiracy theorist speaking here, but I just know that Steve Jobs and Ted Turner are THIS tight! )

And yes, the sacrifice of the-music-that-cloaks-the-wheezing of my morning run would be a reasonable act if it meant that Third Child, fresh out of mechanical engineering mintage at UCSB could participate in something so cool and now and meaningful as giving iPod users around the world the right and freedom to change their own damn batteries.

Such are the sacrifices of motherhood. I just hope the pphhhhhhssttt I'm hearing right now means he is figuring out how to put it back together. I'll keep you posted on how the interview goes.

K

3 comments:

  1. woah... so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, does it work now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup: all content present and accounted for, accompanied me on my morning run today.

    Or did you mean the back cover he is designing?

    ReplyDelete