Wednesday, July 25, 2007

When Did We Become Wii?

Today, a-parent-ly.

Third Child's (TC) birthday is tomorrow and my miracle-working (or so I am told) husband found a Wii (what's a "Wii?) ... "retail!!" I still don't get the punchline there, although it is starting to sift through the fog that to find such a treasure without succumbing to extortion-by-eBay prices is akin to finding Manolos Blahnik pumps at your local Nordstrom The Rack with a gray "extra 40% off" tag. Go, TC's dad!

Here's the kicker from my perspective: amid all the "Oh boy! A nunchuck!!" and "Zelda!! I didn't think there was a copy left in the whole Bay area!" glee (and what the hell is a nunchuck? Is that like virtual cow tipping?), I was assured that I, even I, would eventually embrace the Wii. Evidently Electronic Gaming had recently published an article that "even old women in nursing homes" had been witnessed enjoying dual-player tennis on the Wii, and therefore, I might possibly get it.

Will I? I don't know. In the late 70's I did enjoy the one of the very first online text-based games, Dungeon, involving the over-the-week-end schlepping home the CPU, monitor, keyboard and acoustic coupler for the ancient hand-sets of rotary phones. I have also read and enjoyed the entire Tad Williams Otherland series. (I'm sure the concept of a "nunchuck" showed up there somewhere. I'll have to go back and speed re-read it.) And I will, sooner than any of us probably expect, be a gum-sucking old ranter in a nursing home, desperately seeking diversion alternatives to gardening in the nude. Maybe there is hope for me as a Wii enthusiast yet.

In any case, Happy Birthday, TC.

Love, mummy

No comments:

Post a Comment