Thursday, October 11, 2007

A New Way of Communicating... At Least, New To Me

I sing Broadway show-tunes in business meetings. I know how to spell in American Sign Language. I speak English, French "com un canard Canadien," Swahili, Lanark County, and fluent pig-Latin. I speak CEO, COO, CFO, CTO and CBC. I've tried every kind of communication there is, I think, except the following:
  • Ground-breaking front-lines war coverage journalism (or any other kind of actual journalism, for that matter, but let's not quibble)
  • Morse code
  • Semaphore (The only official "girl's only" club I ever joined was something called "Explorers" which I think was somehow affiliated with the United Church of Canada we attended in Ottawa. There may have been semaphore offered in the program, but I didn't stick around to find out. I only stayed long enough to participate in the Annual Mom's and Daughters Cherry Blossom Tea and then quit. Not enough action, and, no boys.)
  • Shadow puppetry
  • Interpretive dance (that time at the Digital Equipment "Circle of Champions" sales meeting in Hawaii in 1990 when I first heard and embraced M.C. Hammer as a social movement worthy of my support and nifty dance moves definitely does not count)
So I thought I'd try a new kind of communication, this one specifically designed to speak compassion-ease. Jon Talbert, the "Compassion Pastor" at Westgate Church, calls it "Shut Up and Show Up." Novel concept, and I'm always up for something new. So, I'm walking for AIDS on October 21 with our Beautiful Day team. And we need your money. Click and donate. And then tell all your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment