Thursday, October 4, 2007

Why Business People Speak Like Idiots

In the book Why Business People Speak Like Idiots (Fugere, Hardaway, and Warshawsky), I found a new way to unpack the acronym SCUBA: System to Clean Up Bogus Acronyms. This was an enjoyable and timely moment for me for three reasons.
  1. I had recently read a fun posting on a friend's blog where he comments on a news article about a virtual church. In the blog, he plays with a variety of possible acronyms that could be used for the virtual pastor of this virtual church, starting with Preacher EGHEAD (electronically generated, humanly engineered, adjustable device). In a follow-up posting, he mentions other possibilities: Post Mortal Shepherd (PMS), or maybe Automated Simulated Shepherd (first name, "Jack"). My favorite? Simulated Thing that Undermines People’s Intrinsic Design + Automated Preaching Entity (STUPID APE).
  2. I work in the Electronic Design Automation (EDA) industry. Sitting in a meeting with the technical dudes at the office is the conversational equivalent of text messaging between two 12-year old girls: "At ICCAD, should our COO talk about our LCC and CAA tools? Or should he focus on RETs, like OPC and PSM?" omg*... k.w.e.
  3. It made me remember that I love to use self-contained underwater breathing apparatus.







*That's "goodness" in my lexicon.

No comments:

Post a Comment